Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pastel Still Life Project


          I planned this composition by selecting three related items I wanted to create in a still life. I picked a large yellow bucket, an orange shovel, and a gray and brown shell. I chose these objects because they all represent the beach. I arranged them several different ways before I began the project. A thumbnail sketch is a technique in which you cut out a small rectangular window in a piece of paper and sketch your drawing looking through the window. The thumbnail sketch helps you plan where you want your objects in the final drawing. Some items may be cut off on the edges, which is sometimes ideal.

          Creating value in the project using light and shadows was difficult. However, it was very rewarding and taught me a lot about how to add dimension to a pastel drawing. When the spotlights in the classroom were on, it was easy to see where the shadows of the objects fell and draw the outline of them. I had to use different colors like black and white to show the darkness or lightness on the objects. The shovel was especially hard to create value on because of its shape. I created a light source by adding lighter areas wherever the light hit the objects. I added a lot of white on the side of the bucket and blended it in because that part was very shiny. I learned that the color of the shadows had to match the color of the background. As my first real pastel composition, I am happy with the final result.

No comments:

Post a Comment